Ours extra virgin olive oils are rich in bioactive substances such as polyphenols, tocopherols, squalene, oleic acid and sterols. These properties of our oil mean that including it in your diet offers a series of beneficial effects on your health. It can be enjoyed in conjunction with a Mediterranean diet and a healthy lifestyle, taking moderate physical exercise each day.
The limestone and clay composition of our soil, the planting at altitude of our olive grove, the extreme agroclimatic conditions, the century-old olive grove, the picual variety together with early harvesting, the olives always falling from the tree from mid-October to the beginning of November, their immediately pressing after harvest, and the delicate process of churning and cold extraction, are the factors that when combined give Finca Las Manillas extra virgin olive oils a high level of polyphenols and other bioactive benefits. These factors are responsible for the healthy properties of our Noviembre and Las Manillas extra virgin olive oils.
The list of the benefits of extra virgin olive oil is very long but here we can highlight the fact that it:
- Prevents cardiovascular disease.
- Is a powerful antioxidant which fights ageing.
- Is a magnificent anti-inflammatory.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Controls cholesterol, eliminates bad LDL cholesterol and increases the good HDL cholesterol.
- Has a neuroprotective effect which helps with the prevention of diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
- Prevents diabetes.
- Helps to improve motor and muscular performance.
- Reduces hypertension.
- Contributes to the proper functioning of the digestive system.
- Reduces the malignancy of breast cancer, slowing the growth of tumours
The latest studies on polyphenols in extra virgin olive oil and oleic acid have led to the discovery of oleocanthal OC, one of the phenols whose particular feature is destroying cancer cells..
Sources:* Predimed Trial, published in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry.* Oleocanthal OC: “Molecular & Cellular Oncology” Phenols and the antioxidant capacity of Mediterranean vegetables prepared with extra virgin olive oil using different domestic cooking techniques. Food Chemistry, 188, 43-438.